A quite popular use of CBD Infusions for cooking or finishing is with CBD infused olive oil. Olive oil's versatility and uses are far and wide, from baked goods to salad dressings. One specific reason why Olive Oil is so popular for infusion CBD and other flavor profiles into it is that it makes such a great carrier for cannabinoids!
- 2 cups Olive Oil (Extra Virgin for dressings and finishing oil)
- 8 grams of *decarboxylated Hemp Flower
**Pro Tip: Using a crockpot on low for 4-5 hours is the best method for infusion of oils, butters, and fatty liquids
- In small crockpot add olive oil on low
- Allow oil to heat up for 5-10 minutes prior to adding flower or CBD Oil.
- Add either decarboxylated and ground up Hemp Flower or CBD Emporium Full Spectrum Tincture, Unflavored
- What is Decarboxylated? - To quickly explain it, Hemp Flower cannabinoids exist in acid form when naturally occurring in the plant's flowers. To convert these acids to a bioavailable and usable product it is best suited to "Decarboxylate" your flower prior to use in cooking or infusions.
- How to Decarboxylate - Break up your hemp flower into pieces about the size of peas (Do not Grind). Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven on a lower rack at 245° for 30-35 minutes. Once cooled, you can grind with your fingers, or use a grinder to create the most surface area for contact within your infusion.
- Simmer on low 4-5 hours- if your crock pot has a temp setting, set for 165°.
- Turn the crock pot off and allow to sit for 1 hour
- (Skip Step if using CBD Emporium Full Spectrum Tincture.) Pour the warm mixture through a strainer to remove solids and place into a storage container of your choosing.
- Once at room temperature, it is ready to go for your every day use!
Now that you have CBD Infused your Olive oil, you can use it to dress pastas, salads, or any foods that you wish.
Be careful not to use this olive oil when cooking at high heat, if you are seeing smoke from your oil, you have gotten your olive oil to a high temp that is ruining your infusion. CBD will degrade and break down at approximately 292°.
Baking with this oil inside of a mixture is perfectly acceptable - typically when baking goods in the oven, the internal temperature never rises above 205-215°, leaving the CBD intact.
Check out some of the following recipes for how to use your CBD Infused Oil -
Citrus Salad Dressing
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Garlic Basil Pesto